LEWES WANDERERS COMMITTEE MEETING ON 14TH NOVEMBER 2017 AT
BRETT AND LISA DAVIS’ HOUSE, HEATHFIELD AT 8 P.M.
PRESENT: Graham Jeffs (Treasurer) – in the Chair, Richard Meed (President), Paget Cohen (Press Officer), Brett Davis (Membership Secretary), Bob Evans (Road Secretary), Emma Gearing (Social Secretary), Paul Gibbons (Off Road Secretary), Tom Glandfield (Time Trial Secretary), John Mankelow (Club Secretary), and Ian McGuckin (Club Runs Secretary).
1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
All members were present.
2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 29 TH AUGUST 2017
The Minutes of the last meeting were agreed.
3. ACTION ARISING FROM THE LAST MEETING
(a) Trip to Velodrome
The Club had been unsuccessful in getting a slot in the September to December period and there were now no suitable opportunities until after March next year. Nevertheless
Graham would continue to apply for a further date.
(b) Protocol for conduct by members of the club
The correspondence with the member of the club concerned had been circulated and nothing further has arisen. The Committee agreed that no further action was now
(c) Club 30
It was noted at the last meeting that there was a need for a club organiser for this event. Simon Yates had offered to run it again but it was thought that it would help the event to run more smoothly if he had some assistance. The projector and laptop would be available and it was agreed to ask at the AGM for someone else to help.
4. PREPARATIONS FOR THE PRESENTATION EVENING
The Committee endorsed the arrangements being made for the awards evening on 25th November. All issues were in hand and Emma outlined the considerable work that she was undertaking with Bob as the host. There were currently 64 acceptances including all trophy winners with some replies outstanding.
5. NEW WEB SITE AND CENTRAL RESULTS DATABASE
Brett gave a presentation of the proposed new web site using a new screen, a laptop he had made available and a projector that had been donated. The new arrangements were welcomed by the Committee and agreed that it should go live on 1 st December or as soon thereafter as possible. Brett would be the administrator. It was also agreed that Emma should restart the Club’s account on Twitter.
6. RESIGNATION OF COMMITTEE OFFICERS
(a) The Committee considered what action to take following the resignation of Chris Martin as Club Chairman. It was agreed to put the matter to the AGM by outlining the expectations of the Club for the role of Chairman which would include liaising with other clubs and associations, chairing meetings and acting as a figurehead for the club. It was felt that it would need someone with experience of Lewes Wanderers and who could command some authority. In the interim and certainly for the near future it was considered that it would be possible to continue without a designated chairman.
(b) Tom had indicated that he would be retiring as Time Trial Secretary. However, it was understood that Jon Collett has offered to "own" the evening 10s but not to take on the TT secretary role entirely. Tom agreed that he could continue to run the club circuit events which left the central administration to be covered and someone to take on the overall responsibility. It was agreed to consider these issues at the AGM.
(c) Bob had indicated that he would be retiring as Road Race Secretary. Chris Hough had said that he was prepared to take on the job and to be BC contact for the Crits including dealing with paperwork to support Darren continuing as organiser. Also, he was interested in organising a cyclo cross event for the club. The Committee welcomed this offer which would also be determined at the AGM.
7. CLUB RECORDS
Brett suggested that that there should be a club record established for a 25-mile 2-up as there was for a 10 mile (which is part of the evening 10 series). This was agreed.
8. CLUB HOLIDAY – VELO VERCORS
The action taken to secure a booking for this holiday, which was being led by Emma, was noted. It had been considered advisable for the Club to make an early block booking as there was pressure on the available accommodation. In consultation with all Committee members a deposit had been paid for 14 attendees. It was proposed to recover the monies from individuals separately. The payment was required to be made by bank transfer.
9. AWARD/TROPHY FOR CYCLO CROSS
A suggestion had been made that as there were 10 club members riding cross this year there should be an award. This could be based on the London League, which comprised the events we took part in, and as it was a League it already had a structure. The League ran to February so the award would be made at the following dinner in November. This was agreed on the basis that a system for determining the winner would have to be finalised.
10. OFFICER REPORTS
Current membership was 166 which was probably a record. Of these, 125 were using Facebook.
The current balance was £10,942.36 at the end of October. The payment of BC levies for the crit series would have to be deducted from this total.
(c) Road and Track
There was nothing to report.
(d) Time Trials
There was nothing further to report.
(e) Club Runs
The Committee noted the comments from Gina Boakes supporting the organisation of the B rides. Ian had run the jumble sale successfully which had returned a profit of £268.
There was nothing exceptional for Paget to report. He would be taking over the remaining responsibilities from Chris from 1st January.
(g) Social Secretary
There was nothing additional to report.
(h) Off Road
There was nothing to report from Paul. Paget confirmed that cyclo cross was continuing to be popular.
11 SPONSORSHIP OFFER FROM BAG SOLO
An approach has been made by Bag SOLO for sponsorship of a Lewes Wanderers event. They would like to sponsor and attend an event by offering a £50 Bag Solo voucher to the winner. Bag Solo provided a bag transportation service using FEDEX. In return they said they would be grateful for any promotion of their services to club members via an e mail or news letter. It was decided not to follow up this approach. The service offered was relatively expensive and the sponsorship offered was not considered to be particularly worthwhile.
12 SPORTS MASSAGE
Emma reported that a recently qualified physiotherapist had offered to provide a massage service after events. There was no objection to this in principle (with the exception of the crits).
13. NEXT MEETING
The next meeting was the AGM and would be held on Tuesday 9th January 2018 at 7.30pm.
The meeting ended at 10.05 p.m.